The Avatar. Master of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. To some, the Avatar is nothing more than a legend. However, there are few who get the chance to encounter the Avatar. If you are one of the Avatar’s companions, there are several things that you will need to know.
1. What makes a good companion to the Avatar?
There are many things that the Avatar looks for when seeking out his companions:
- Someone who isn’t afraid to leave their life behind. As cruel as it is, the Avatar’s companion must be prepared to travel with the Avatar - subsequently leaving their friends and family behind. It is a heavy burden. Don’t worry - You’ll be able to visit.
- Actually you’ll get bonus points if you have a corrupted family or backstory. It makes it easier to break free and join the Avatar.
- Someone who is able to put aside their own emotions/feelings. That’s not to say that the Avatar is looking for a thick-skinned / monotonic individual. It simply means that you will face tragic and horrific moments. You must swallow your own feelings in order to finish the job.
- Someone who will trust the Avatar. Again, see above. There will be times when you will face a controversial decision. Nine times out of ten, if the Avatar tells you to do something you do it.
- Then again it also helps to be someone who isn’t afraid to step up and keep the Avatar in-line. Sometimes even the Avatar will make mistakes.
- Someone who is on the Avatar’s side. The Avatar isn’t going to bring you along if you try to kill them.
- However if you recently tried to kill them and then you come back to apologize, the Avatar might reconsider.
2. So what does a companion do?
- Travel with The Avatar. Again, this was previously mentioned. Or if you don’t travel with him/her, you should at least keep in good contact and provide necessary resources.
- Save the Avatar. Seriously. The Avatar gets in trouble a lot. One of your jobs is to protect the Avatar at all costs. You may even be asked to risk your own life and the lives of your loved ones. When the Avatar is in the room, he/she is the top priority.
- Teach the Avatar. Occasionally you may become the Avatar’s companion by agreeing to teach him/her. Don’t be frustrated if he/she cannot get it on the first try. He/she is only human.
- Which brings us to one of the most important things that a companion must do: Humanize the Avatar. The Avatar is a human. And occasionally he/she may need to be reminded of that. The Avatar must feel love, friendship, hate, happiness, sadness, loss, etc. The companions provide this. It is also important that the Avatar learn humanized consequences - that their actions affect lives. Become their friend. They have the responsibility of saving the entire world. They need a friend.
3. So what should I expect?
- Excitement. Life is never dull with the Avatar.
- An animal-companion. Every Avatar comes with a spiritual guide in the form of an animal. Treat them with respect and guard the animal as if you would the Avatar. They’re also great for transportation.
- If the Avatar dies, he will be reincarnated into the next nation of the cycle. This means that all of the past Avatars are in the sub-conscience of your Avatar. Their memories, their power, their wisdom, their emotions … Sometimes the Avatar will be sad or angry for no reason. Sometimes they’ll be drawn to a particular place or will even disappear into the Spirit World. This is normal. But here’s the catch: The Avatar might not always remember you. So if you were the Avatar’s lover in a past-life, he/she might retain enough memory to allow you into his next life, but they might not love you. Also, should the Avatar die, you need to immediately report the next nation and try to find the newest baby.
- Expect a lot of bending.
- Expect a lot of fighting. Not everyone will help the Avatar.
- Expect to be confused. Sometimes you won’t be able to understand what the Avatar is going through. Just go along with what he/she says.
- Learn how to defend yourself. There are times when the Avatar will be preoccupied and can’t come along to save you. There are also times when you’ll need to save him.
- Wear comfortable clothing. You’ll be doing a lot of fighting and running.
- Master your own element. It makes you more prepared and more equipped to train the Avatar.
- You’ll see things that you can’t possibly imagine, things that you’ve always longed to see, things that nobody should ever see.
- Falling in love with the Avatar is perfectly normal. It also goes along with the Avatar’s humanity. However, the companion must also remember that there will come times when they have to sacrifice their own emotions for the greater good. Basically, don’t let your love get in the way of the mission.
- Have fun.
- Expect the unexpected.
- If you do ever become a companion, note that your destinies will always be intertwined.
Congratulations! You are now on your way to becoming a companion to the Avatar! Good luck!
__Marauders4EVR 04/08/13 3:39 PM